The Carter Family

Emma (Carter) Hinds

Birth: 1811/2

Father: Thomas Carter

Mother: Ann (Collison) Carter

Married: John Thomas Hinds on 18 August 1846, in Ballymore, county Armagh, Ireland

John was born in 1812/3, the only son of John Hinds of Waterloo Lodge, county Meath. He was educated at Gray's Inn, admitted on 10 January 1835, and was a solicitor. John died on 2 December 1887 at 5 Proby-square, Blackrock, county Dublin, aged 74. Letters of administration of his estate worth £45,308 16s 5d were granted to his widow, Emma, on 18 January 1888. When Emma died two years later, the administration of the estate was passed to John's cousin, Adelaide Potterton on 11 February 1890, and a third grant of the unadministered estate (then only £2,072 1s 2d remaining) was made to Ellissa Frances Potterton on 25 April 1904. W.F. Montague Groome says that half of the estate went to the Hinds and half went to the Carpendales (Emma's sister's family).
1842: 31 Upper Dorset Street, Dublin and Waterloo Lodge, Trim, county Meath  (Pettigrew and Oulton Street Directory, 1842 p638)

Death: 22 January 1890, at 5 Proby-square, Blackrock, county Dublin, Ireland, aged 78
The Irish Law Times 25 January 1890 p56
HINDS—January 22, at Proby-square, Blackrock, Dublin, Emma, widow of the late John Thomas Hinds, solicitor, and daughter of the late Very Rev. Thomas Carter, Dean of Tuam. 

Will: proved 11 July 1890, with effects of £22,876 18s 9d. The executors were John Goodman of Ashbrook, Phœnix Park, county Dublin and Colonel Montague M. Carpendale of Glenbervie, Bray, county Wicklow.


Margaret (_____) Carter

Married: Roger Carter

Children: Sources:

Marianna (Carter) Patrickson

Birth: 1799/1800

Father: Thomas Carter

Mother: Ann (Collison) Carter

Married: Samuel Patrickson on 15 August 1822, at Tandragee, county Armagh, Ireland
The Gentleman's Magazine September 1822 p273
Aug. 15. At Tandragee, Maj. Sam. Patrickson, 67th foot, to Marianne Carter, dau. of the Dean of Tuam.

Samuel was born in 1786/7. He was an army officer. Samuel was commissioned Ensign in the 69th Regiment of Foot on 16 August 1803 (London Gazette 13 August 1803 p1724) and promoted to Lieutenant, without purchase, on 23 February 1805 (London Gazette 19 February 1805 p245). Samuel exchanged into the 95th Foot on 27 August 1808 (London Gazette 23 August 1808 p1157). On 23 September 1809, Samuel was promoted to captain, by purchase, in the 67th Foot (London Gazette 19 September 1809 p1514). He was severely wounded in February 1811, in an engagement  with the French army on a march from Tarifa (Historical Record of the Sixty-seventh, Or the South Hampshire Regiment p34 (Richard Cannon, 1849), Cobbett's Political Register 1811 col800). Samuel was promoted to major in the 67th, by purchase, on 8 August 1816 (London Gazette 7 September 1816 p1724). In the army downsizing after the Napoleonic Wars, Samuel was placed on half-pay on 25 July 1817 (A List of the Officers of the Army and of the Corps of Royal Marines 1821 p575). He returned to full pay as a major in the newly raised 99th Foot on 25 March 1824 (London Gazette 23 March 1824 p485) and on 20 January 1825 he exchanged into the 66th Foot (London Gazette 12 February 1825 p243).
In 1831, Samuel was stationed in Castlebar, county Mayo:
The Mayo Contitution 14 July 1831
The officers and men of the 66th Depot, lately stationed in this town,(Castlebar) have forwarded, through Major Patrickson, to the Mansion House Committee, one days pay, for the relief of the starving poor of this county.

By 1834 we find Samuel tenanted at Drumsesk House, Rosstrevor, county Down, near to Arno's Vale, the residence of his father-in-law, Thomas Carter. He was a member of the Royal Geological Society of Dublin, and contributed a paper entitled "Desciption of a Limestone District on the N.E. Shore of Carlingford Bay, and of Littoral Deposits of Shells and Limestone" and "A Descriptive List of the Dykes Appearing on the Shore which Skirts the Mourne Mountains" to the Journal of the Royal Geological Society of Ireland.
Samuel was buried on 16 September 1836 at St Peters, county Dublin. He is recorded as aged 49, resident at 5 Frederick Street in the parish of St Anne, and his occupation is "Major".

Children: Death: 30 November 1889, at 16 Clarinda Park, Kingstown, county Dublin, Ireland., aged 89

Probate: granted 8 February 1890.
Will Calendar (1890) at National Archives of Ireland
The Will of Marianne Patrickson late of 16 Clarinda Park Kingstown County Dublin Widow who dies 30 November 1889 at same place was proved at the Principal Registry by Charlotte Carpendale of same place Spinster and Harriet Maxwell Groome of St Peter's Drogheda county Louth Widow the Executors. Effects £2,585 18s 9d.


Matthew Inman Carter

Birth: 1775, in Kendal, Westmorland, England

Baptism: 12 November 1775, in Kendal, Westmorland, England

Father: Roger Carter

Mother: Elizabeth (Inman) Carter

Education: Christ's College, Cambridge, where Matthew was admitted on 2 July 1796. He graduated B.A. in 1800.

Alumni Cantabrigiensis p528 (John Venn)
CARTER, MATTHEW INMAN. Adm. at CHRIST'S, July. 2, 1796. Of Westmorland. Matric. Michs. 1796; Scholar; B.A. 1800; M.A. 1805. P. C. of Torver, Lancs., 1807-65. (Peile, II. 342.)

Occupation: Clergyman. Matthew was rector of Torver, Lancashire, from 1807 until 1865.

Leaves from the annals of a mountain parish in Lakeland: a sketch of the history of the church and benefice of Torver pp19-20 (Thomas Ellwood, 1888)
  He was succeeded by the Rev. Matthew Inman Carter, M.A., of Christ's College, Cambridge.
  Mr Carter was incumbent of Torver for 56 years, and seems to have been master of the parish school until the year 1819 or thereabouts, and he eked out his income by farming, having for about 20 years rented and cultivated the estate of Brackenbarrow, containing about 40 acres. He belonged to a Kendal family, and was brother to the Dean of Tuam, who in some measure owed his preferment to having been tutor to one of the members of the royal family.
  There was no Parsonage in Mr Carter's time, and he seems to have been somewhat difficult to please in his choice of a residence, as several houses have been pointed out to me as having at times formed his residence.
  He was very retiring in his manners, but seems to have been a man of great mental powers and extensive reading. As a walker he is still renowned in this district, and frequently after the evening service at Torver he walked to Kendal, a distance of over 20 miles.
  On account of the growing infirmities of age, Mr. Carter left the parish and went to reside at Kendal in 1861, and the curacy (sole charge) of the parish was in that year entered upon by Rev. T. Ellwood, the writer of the present sketch.
  For the few months that intervened between Mr Carter's leaving Torver and my coming to it the sole charge was taken by the Rev. James Jackson, who is best known in the lake district by his tragic end, caused by a fall from the Pillar Rock. Mr. Carter died in 1863 at the age of 86 years. It is, I think, worthy of remark that the two incumbencies of Mr. Bell and his successor, Mr. Carter, extend over a period of 123 years.  

Kirkbie-Kendall. Fragments Collected Relating to Its Ancient Streets and Yards p107 (John Flavel Curwen, 1900)
   The next house, named by a recent owner “Cross View,” was the property and residence of Roger Carter, shearman in the employ of R. Gawthorpe. He was the father of the very Rev. Thomas Carter, Dean of Tuam in Ireland, and of the Rev. M. I. Carter, incumbent of Torver, near Coniston.
  Roger had a granddaughter, Miss Carter, who also lived here, and to her credit may it be recorded that out of her scanty savings she left the interest of
£50 to be spent in coals for the poor. There being no parsonage at Torver, her uncle lived with her, and used to walk all the way through Bowness and Sawrey to fulfil his duties and then return again in like manner.

Death: 15 February 1864 in Kendal district, Westmorland, England, aged 86

Will: dated 20 July 1861, was proved on 9 July 1864

1861: Highgate, Kendal, Westmorland


Roger Carter

Married: Margaret _____

Children: Sources:

Roger Carter

Birth: 1730/1, at Soutergate, Kendal, Lancashire, England

Baptism: 8 July 1731, in Kendal, Westmorland, England

Father: Roger Carter

Mother: Margaret (_____) Carter

Married: Elizabeth Inman on 12 July 1762, in Kendal, Westmorland, England

Roger also had a grand-daughter, Mary Carter, although it is unknown whether the link is via Thomas, or another child. The relationship is stated here, which also refers to Matthew as her uncle. In the 1861 census, Matthew is shown as a "visitor" in Mary's home. Mary was born in Kendal in 1803/4, and in the 1861 census she is described as a "Proprietor Of Houses".

Occupation: Shearman, in the employ of Robert Gawthorpe, a cotton dealer and cotton twist manufacturer in Kendal. A shearman was a skilled worker who sheared the nap from cloth.
Manufacturing Cloth from Wool
Fulled fabrics -- especially those made from curly-haired woolen yarn -- were often very fuzzy and covered with nap. Once the fabric had been dried, it would be shaved or sheared to remove this extra material. Shearers would use a device that had remained pretty much unchanged since Roman times: shears, which consisted of two razor-sharp blades attached to a U-shaped bow spring. The spring, which was made of steel, also served as the handle of the device.
A shearer would attach the cloth to a padded table that sloped downward and had hooks to keep the fabric in place. He would then press the bottom blade of his shears into the cloth at the top of the table and gently slide it down, clipping the fuzz and nap by bringing down the top blade as he went. Shearing a piece of fabric completely could take several passes, and would often alternate with the next step in the process, napping.

Cross View Yard, Kendal
Cross View Yard in Kendal, the property and residence of Roger Carter
photo from Visit Cumbria
Kirkbie-Kendall. Fragments Collected Relating to Its Ancient Streets and Yards p107 (John Flavel Curwen, 1900)
  The next house, named by a recent owner “Cross View,” was the property and residence of Roger Carter, shearman in the employ of R. Gawthorpe. He was the father of the very Rev. Thomas Carter, Dean of Tuam in Ireland, and of the Rev. M. I. Carter, incumbent of Torver, near Coniston.
  Roger had a granddaughter, Miss Carter, who also lived here, and to her credit may it be recorded that out of her scanty savings she left the interest of
£50 to be spent in coals for the poor. There being no parsonage at Torver, her uncle lived with her, and used to walk all the way through Bowness and Sawrey to fulfil his duties and then return again in like manner.
Death: August 1821, in Kendal, Westmorland, England, aged 90


Sophia Margaret Henrietta Anne Lyle (Carter) Cashel

known as Anne

Baptism: 25 December 1814, in Ireland

Father: Thomas Carter

Mother: Ann (Collison) Carter

Married: Rev. Frederick Cashel on 31 January 1850 in Old Church, St Pancras, London, England.
The Annual Register 1851 p177
January 31. — At St. Pancras Church, the Rev. Frederick Cashel, of Norton Durham, to Anne, youngest daughter of the late Very Rev. the Dean of Tuam.

Frederick was born in 1819, in Dublin. He was educated at Trinity College, Dublin, obtaining a B.A. in 1842 and an M.A. in 1873. In 1843, he was ordained curate of Forkhill, in 1846 he removed to Taztaraghan, in the Diocese of Armagh, and in 1849 to Norton, in the Diocese of Durham. In 1851 he was appointed vicar of Trinity Church in Oswestry, Shropshire, a position he held until his death. Late in his career, Frederick was also made honorary canon of St. Asaph.
Crockford's Clerical Directory 1870 p128
CASHEL, Frederick, Oswestry, Salop.—Dub. B.A. 1842; Deac. 1843 by Bp. of Meath, Pr. 1843 by Abp of Armagh, P. C. of Trinity, Oswestry, Dio. St. A. 1851. (Patron, V. of Oswestry; P.C' s Inc. 150l; Pop. 2683.)

1861: Oswestry, Shropshire: Frederick Cashel, head, is aged 39, born in Ireland
1871: Oswestry, Shropshire
1881: Trinity Vicarage, Salop Rd, Oswestry, Shropshire

Bye-gones 5 January 1887 p220
The Late Rev. F. Cashel M.A.
  One of the most familiar faces will be seen no more in the streets of Oswestry. It is between thirty-five and thirty-six years ago since Mr Cashel came to take up the charge of Trinity Church, and during the whole of that period, until his last prolonged illness, he had been almost constantly engaged in the duties of his office. A few months ago he was prostrated with illness, and not long after the bells had rung the new year in he passed away from the scene where almost all his working days had been spent. His devotion to the service of religion in its various forms, his visits to his flock, and his attendance at the day school, constantly took him among his fellow-townsmen, until he became one of the best known amongst them; and comparatively few are left who were engaged in public life when Mr Cashel first came to Oswestry. He was a convinced member of the Evangelical Party, which in his younger days had so much influence and exercised so much power in the Church, and he sometimes associated with ministers of other Communions in support of general religious societies, like the Bible Society, as well as in more private meetings; but of late he had worked more entirely within the limits of the Church of England, to which he was profoundly attached, and in whose service he was willing to spend himself and be spent. His congregation always found him at his post, ready for any duty, and whoever his successor may be, he cannot well excel Mr Cashel in the zealous discharge of those sacred functions which he held in so much reverence and affection.
  The Rev. Frederick Cashel, M.A., Honorary Canon of St Asaph, was born at Dublin in 1819, and educated at Trinity College, Dublin, where he took a first class in Divinity, and his B.A. degree in 1842, passing on to M.A. in 1873. In 1843, he was ordained curate of Forkhill, in 1846 he removed to Taztaraghan, in the Diocese of Armagh, and in 1849 to Norton, in the Diocese of Durham. In 1850 he married Anne Carter, daughter of the Dean of Tuam and Rector of Ballymore, Co. Armagh, and in 1851, on the removal of the Rev. John Jones to Llanarmon-yn-Ial, the Rev. T. Salwey presented Mr Cashel to the living of Trinity, of which he was the third incumbent, the Rev. R. B. M. Bonner, afterwards Dean of St. Asaph, having been the first (1837 to 1842). At the time of Mr Cashel's appointment, the value of Trinity was only about
£150 per annum, and the Church was not used for the solemnization of marriages, baptisms and funerals, but in 1866 the necessary order was issued for those purposes; and in 1872 Lord Powis generously gave up the rectorial tithes of Middleton to augment the income, by which means, together with a grant from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, it was raised to £310. Before this a subscription had been raised to provide the Vicarage in Salop-road, where Mr Cashel resided for the last nineteen or twenty years of his life.
  During his vicariate several improvements were effected in the church and parish. In 1856, a new ceiling was erected at a cost of
£600, borne chiefly by Mr T. L. Longueville, who with the late Mr Parker, and Lord Powis, has been a munificent supporter of the church. In 1871 an organ was placed in the building; and in 1876 aconsiderable sum was spent in improvements, the completion of which was celebrated by an octave of services, at which, amongst others, the preachers were the Bishop of St. Asaph, and Mr Cashel's old friend, the Rev. George Cuthbert, who was senior curate for several years at Oswestry Parish Church, and who predeceased the late Vicar of Trinity. In 1868, a day school was erected in Castle-street, and in 1870 it was enlarged by the addition of an infant class-room. Mr Cashel always took a great interest in the school, and he was one of the first members of the Oswestry School Board, from which he retired in 1883. A few years ago he was made an honorary canon of St. Asaph. Though we believe he sympathized with the Conservative party, he abstained from any active part in politics, and indeed confined himself almost entirely to work connected with the Church and education.
  For some time before his death Mr Cashel's health had caused a good deal of anxiety to his friends. The last time he offciated at Trinity Church was on the 18th of July, when he preached a powerful sermon from St. Luke vi., 41, 42. On the same day he preached at Maesbury in the evening, and on his return was taken so seriously ill that he had to remain upstairs for a few days. On July 29 he had sufficiently recovered to leave for Dublin, where he stayed about a fortnight, and then he visited Harrogate, returning to Oswestry on September 21. The change evidently did him little good, and shortly after his return he again took to his bed, and was laid up for six weeks. At the end of this time, however, he appeared very much better; in fact he was restored to such a state of health that prayers of thanksgiving were offered in his church for his partial recovery. Still he went out very little, and on one occasion it is related of him how being in the church almost alone he ascended the pulpit, and looking round the building in which he had so many times preached, he seemed to feel that he should never stand in that place again. When his illness first came on he was in the middle of a course of sermons which he had been preaching upon the Ten Commandments, and his plain and outspoken language had attracted considerable attention. His last public appearance as Vicar of the parish was on the 7th of December, when he was present at a District Visitors' meeting, which was held at the Vicarage. Towards the end of that week he again broke down, and he kept his bed almost entirely from then until his death. No one, not even the faithful wife who had watched him through a long illness, realized that the end was so near; and without any apparent change he passed away in his sleep between five and six o'clock on Saturday evening. 

Death: 5 February 1904, at 5 Haddington Terrace, Kingstown, county Dublin, Ireland

Buried: Dean's Grange, Dublin, Ireland

Will of Mrs. S.M.H.A.L. Cashel. 23rd. Jan. 1890.
I Sophia Margaret Henrietta Anne Lyle Cashel widow of the late Rev. Frederick Cashel Vicar of the Church of the Holy Trinity Oswestry, Salop, hereby revoke etc.
I appoint my nephew Col. Montague Maxwell Carpendale of Glenbervie Bray in Co. of Wicklow, late of the Indian Army and Robert H. Harden of Harrybrook Tandragee in the Co. of Armagh Esq. Executors of this my will.
I give to my sister in law Ellen Cashel widow of the late Richard Cashel the sum of
£150 to be applied by her at her absolute discretion for the benefit of her sons. I give to my niece and Goddaughter Charlotte Marion Eleanor Carpendale the sum of £2500. I give to my Godson Frederick Maxwell Carpendale third son of my said nephew Colonel Montague Maxwell Carpendale the sum of £200 and I direct that the aforesaid legacies shall be paid free of Legacy Duty. I give my plate to my said nephew Col. M. Max. Carpendale and such of his sisters as shall be unmarried at the time of my death and I direct my executors to divide such plate at their discretion and as to all the residue of my property I give and devise the same to my said nephew Col. M. Maxwell Carpendale and his sisters Ann Carpendale, Elizabeth Shawe Carpendale, Harriet Maxwell Carpendale (widow of the late Rev. Edward Groome) and Catherine Dalzell Carpendale in equal shares subject to the payment of my funeral Testamentary expenses and debts. In witness whereof I have hereby signed my name this 23rd day of Jan. 1890.
Sophia Margaret Henrietta Anne Lyle Cashel; signed by the said etc.
Witnesses    -  Arthur Black
                    John Thornton

A codicil:      Ross Private Hotel. March 31st. 1892.
I bequeath to my grandnephew Maxwell John Carpendale of Firgrove, Ballybiach the sum of
Signed     -  Sophia  M.H.A.L. Cashel.
Witnesses  -  Thomas Ross
              Josiah Fenton

Probate: granted 29 March 1904.
Will Calendar (1904) at National Archives of Ireland
Probate of the Will (with one Codicil) of Sophia Margaret Henrietta Anne Lyle Cashel late of 5 Haddington-terrace Kingstown county Dublin Widow who died 5 February 1904 granted was at Dublin to Montagu Maxwell Carpendale Retired Colonel. Effects £8.052 11s. 1d.

1861: Oswestry, Shropshire: Sophia ... Cashel, wife, is aged 40, born in Ireland
1871: Oswestry, Shropshire
1881: Trinity Vicarage, Salop Rd, Oswestry, Shropshire


Thomas Carter

Birth: 1764/5, in Soutergate (or the South Road), Kendal, Westmorland, England

Baptism: 19 May 1765, in Kendal, Westmorland, England

Father: Roger Carter

Mother: Elizabeth (Inman) Carter

Education: Heversham School and Trinity College, Cambridge, where Thomas was admitted on 29 September 1782. He graduated B.A. in 1788 and M.A. in 1791. While at Cambridge he was appointed Domestic Chaplain to HRH William Henry, Duke of Gloucester, brother of George III, and tutor to his son William Frederick. The warrant of his appointment, dated 30 Dec., 1790, was addressed to  ''Rev. Mr. Carter, Hitchin, Herefordshire."  William Frederick, Duke of Gloucester, was godfather to Thomas's two eldest children, William Frederick Carter and Wilhelmina Frederica Carter.

Alumni Cantabrigiensis p528 (John Venn)
CARTER, THOMAS. Adm. sizar (age 17) at TRINITY, Sept. 29, 1782. S. of Roger, of Kendal, Westmorland. School, Heversham, Westmorland (Mr Wilson). Matric. Easter, 1784; Scholar, 1787; B.A. 1788; M.A. 1791. Ord. deacon (Peterb., Litt. dim. from Ely) Aug. 24, 1790; C. of Shudy Camps, Cambs., 1790.

Reminiscences of the University, Town, and County of Cambridge, from the Year 1780 pp110-1 (Henry Gunning, 1855)
The next in succession was the Rev. Thomas Wilson, B.D., who held the office of Bursar. He was universally known by the name of “Parabōla, from having so pronounced that word when he was keeping an Act in the schools ...
  A young man of Trinity, named Tom Carter, was patronised by “Parabōla,” and we used to call him the “Paraboloid.” He had been a pupil of Dawson’s at Sedburgh, and came to college with the reputation of being a great mathematician: he failed in the schools, and took an Ægrotat degree. He was, however, appointed Mathematical Tutor to Prince William, and continued in that capacity till his Royal Highness took his degree, soon after which, Carter was made Dean of Tuam, and kept that preferment till August 1849, when he died of the cholera.

Married (1st):
Ann Collison on 30 November 1797, in St Mary, Hitchin, Hertfordshire, England

The 1794 Hitchin Directory lists "Carter, Revd. Mr, curate of Hitchin", probably our Thomas as well as "Collison, John & Son, wine merchants", possibly Ann's father.

Children: Married (2nd): Harriot Winfield on 31 July 1821 in Holy Trinity Church, Kendal, Westmorland, England
The Gentleman's Magazine August 1821 p176
July 31. The Very Rev. Thomas Carter, A.M. Chaplain to the Duke of Gloucester, and to his Grace the Lord Primate of all Ireland, Dean of Tuam, a Prebendary of Armagh, and Rector of Ballymore, to Harriet, dau. of late Richard Winfield, esq.

Harriet was baptised on 17 December 1771, in Kendal, the daughter of Richard Winfield and Mary Corbett.

Thomas and Harriot returned to Tandragee, county Armagh, in August 1821
The Freeman's Journal 8 August 1821
Arrived at the Donegall Arms on the 4th inst. by the Hillsborough Packet, the very Rev. the Dean of Tuam, and Mrs. Carter, from England, on their way to Tandragee.

However the marriage failed and on 9 April 1822, after less than nine months of marriage, they mutually agreed to live separately. Harriot's niece, Mary Winfield Lambert, paid Thomas £10,000 to give up all claims to Harriot’s wealth. Harriot’s will sets out how her estate was put into a trust before her marriage and £300 income from her stocks was set aside for her to spend on her own needs so that Thomas did not have to support her.  She had no access to the rest of her money and so her niece Mary came to the rescue. It states in the will that the payment was to return land to Harriot that was conveyed to Thomas on their marriage. Mary indemnified Thomas and took responsibility for any debts that Harriot had. Mary also covenanted that Harriot Carter "should not interrupt or disturb the said Thomas Carter and should not proceed against him for alimony or any provision whatsoever". It was agreed that Harriot "might thenceforth live apart from him and entirely free from his control"and that Harriot would "receive and enjoy to my own sole and separate use and benefit all or any real or personal estate or estates sum and sums of money in as ample and beneficial a manner as by virtue of any gift grant devise bequest descent or distribution I might have been entitled to have taken received and enjoyed the same if I had remained unmarried except the said sum of ten thousand pounds sterling so paid to him".

Gravestone of Harriet (Winfield) Carter
Gravestone of Harriet (Winfield) Carter in Cartmel, Lancashire
photo from Pat Rowland
It was also agreed that Thomas would not contest her will and she could leave her estate to whoever she wanted. Mary was appointed her sole executrix and everything Harriot owned was left to her. Her 55 page will was made on 10 October 1827. Harriot died at Allithwaite Lodge, Allithwaite, Lancashire, on 4 December 1835 and was buried on 11 December 1835, in Cartmel, Lancashire. The gravestone reads:
to the memory of
Harriot Carter
obit. 4th December 1835.
Ætatis 64.
also of
Mary Winfield Lambert
her niece
Late of Boarbank House
in this parish
who died on the 29th
day of Novr 1857.

Harriot's will was proved on 20 February1836.

Ballymore Parish Church
Ballymore Parish Church (Church of Ireland)
photo from
Occupation: Clergyman. Thomas was ordained deacon on 24 August 1790 and appointed curate of Shudy Camps, Cambridgeshire and later of Hitchin, Hertfordshire. He went over to Ireland in 1799 as Private Chaplain to Primate Stuart. He was prebend and rector at Ballymore parish for 46 years from 28 March 1803 until his death in 1849. He also held also the Deanery of Tuam ("without cure of souls") from 1813.
Armagh Clergy and Parishes p67 (Rev. J. B. Leslie, 1911)
1803 - Thomas Carter,
Trin. Coll., Cambridge B.A. 1788; M.A. 1791 ;  coll. Mar. 11 (D.R.); installed March 28. Held also the Deanery of Tuam (without cure of souls) from 1813.
He came over to Ireland in 1799 as Private Chaplain to Primate Stuart.
While at Cambridge he was Domestic Chaplain to HRH William Henry, Duke of Gloucester, brother of George III, and tutor to his son William Frederick. The warrant of his appointment, dated 30 Dec., 1790, was addressed to  ''Rev. Mr. Carter, Hitchin, Herefordshire."
Wm. Frederick Duke of Gloucester was godfather to his two eldest children, viz. Wm. Frederick and Wilhelmina Frederica, who m. Rev. Maxwell Carpendale.
Another dau. m. John Thomas Hinds, Solicitor, Dublin, and a third, Anne (d. Feb., 1904), m. Rev. Frederick Cashel, Curate of Ballymore and afterwards Hon. Canon of St. Asaph's.
After holding this Prebend for forty-six years, he died on Aug. 19, 1849, and was buried at Ballymore. His wife predeceased him on Jan. 8, 1815.

(Hitchin is actually in Hertfordshire, but the extract is as written)

Thomas was also appointed as a magistrate in county Armagh, but was stripped of this appointment when his fervent support of Orangemen, and specifically his attendance at a hanging in effigy of a fellow magistrate who had ruled against Orangemen, led to a lack of confidence in his impartiality.
The history of Orangeism p173 (M. H. Gill, 1883)
On June 23rd, 1830, the eve of the Feast of SS. Peter and Paul—a day generally regarded as a festival by the Catholic Irish—a number of boys and girls assembled in a field, by leave of its owner, about a mile and a half from Tandragee, in the County Armagh. There this merry group, heedless of the impending danger, spent their evening in those rustic sports peculiar to their time. But in Tandragee there was once upon a time, and, for all I know, is still, an orange hall. Close by lived the Rev. Dean Carter, the most violent Orange firebrand of his time, and one who placed much less reliance upon the open Bible than the sword. In Dean Carter's employment was a certain Deputy Grand Master named Wm. Murphy. On this evening, whether by accident or design, the Tandragee lodge held its meeting. And for the sake of our humanity, let us suppose that the liquor distributed upon the occasion was worse, or more plentiful than usual. The Orangemen, their meeting over, assembled at the lower end of the town, under the lead of Murphy, and with fifes and drums and colours flying, they marched to the tune of “Croppies lie down,” by a circuitous route to the field in which the party was enjoying themselves. By a manœuvre which suggests the presence of yoemanry, they surrounded the field in all directions. The “Protestant Boys” was then struck up, and a determined attack made upon the crowd of amazed villagers from every side. The owner of the field remonstrating, was knocked down. One Samnel Gault drew a dagger from his sleeve and mortally wounded a Catholic named Peter M'Glade. Several others were stabbed and wounded. At the inquest upon M'Glade a verdict of wilful murder was returned against Gault, and also against his accomplices, Wm. Murphy (Dean Carter's man), Wm. Ford, and James Hagan. They were all arrested. Gault and Hagan “escaped,” while Murphy and Ford were tried for the murder at the Armagh Assizes in the following spring, before Mr Justice Johnston. They were acquitted of murder by a jury of Orangemen, and found guilty of riot and assault, and sentenced each to 12 months imprisonment. Ford, on his release, was taken into the police, on the recommendation of Dean Carter. Murphy was at the same time admitted a member of Dr. Patten's Orange yeomanry at Tandragee. What an impartial body of men the Armagh police of those days must have been, since the murdering of a Catholic was regarded as a proper preliminary examination! Dean Carter also refused to receive informations sworn against other parties concerned in this murder.
  Misfortunes came not now in single file. Dean Carter had by this time also got into disgrace. The acquittal of the brethren arrested in Lurgan at the instance of Mr. Hancock and Mr. Brownlow was too inviting an incident not to demand special commemoration. In the following week Lord Mandeville provided tar-barrels and timber to the Orangemen surrounding his demesne to burn in honour of the acquittal of their brethren. Beer was supplied by his lordship in large quantities, the impartial distribution of which his “moral agent,” Mr. Porter superintended. We find from the description given of the rejoicings by Lord Gosford that the Orangemen dressed up a figure as an effigy of “Papist Hancock,” the magistrate who had incurred their displeasure by proceeding, under the Anti-Procession Act, to commit the Orangemen who had marched contrary to law. This effigy had a rope tied around its neck, and was hoisted up on a pole, or gallows; the tar barrels were set fire to, and the effigy was consumed amid the shoutings and hurraings of the people assembled about it. This compliment to a brother magistrate was got up by Lord Mandeville's agent. During the gaities of the evening this agent, Mr. Porter, was chaired around the bonfire by the mob. But the hero of the day was Dean Carter, a reverend magistrate, who having dined with Lord Mandeville came forth from his lordship's gates, attended by Lady Mandeville, her ladyship's children, and some ladies of their suite. They took their stand upon an elevated postion opposite the bon-fire, and joined in the proceedings with evident zest. Cheers were given for the Dean and the lady, as well as groans for “Papist Hancock,” and the worthy and reverned justice joined in the unseemly demonstration. Mr. Crampton, the Solicitor-General, in his report, rightly expressed surprise at “a magistrate countenancing, accrediting by his presence and by his approbation the indecent exhibition of an Orange triumph over an Act of the Legislature, coupled with the infliction of on infamous punishment upon the effigy of a brother magistrate.” Dean Carter was dismissed from the Bench also, and that gentleman, whom in describing the occurrence, a writer in the Edinburgh Review, calls the Marcellus of the party, Colonel Verner himself, the Deputy-Master of Armargh, threw up his commission as a magistrate in indignation at this invasion of Orange rights and privileges. 

Report from the select committee appointed to inquire into the nature, character, extent, and tendency of Orange Lodges, Associations, or Societies in Ireland p234 (1835)
The Earl of Gosford 22 June 1835
  3311. Your Lordship is acquainted with Tandragee, in the county of Armagh?—Yes.
  3312. Does your Lordship recollect any riot taking place in Tandragee; has there been any communication to you in your official situation?—I recollect a representation made to me.
  3313 The burning of Mr Hancock in effigy?—Yes the circumstances went before Government, and I was ordered to investigate that.
  3314 That was in 1833?—I believe it was.
  3315 Does your Lordship recollect the result of that investigation
?—The result of that investigation was, that there was no change made thereby in the Lord Chancellor's dismissal of Dean Carter.
  3316 Dean Carter was the Dean of Tuam
  3317 Does your Lordship recollect the particulars of the transaction
?—The particulars of that transaction, as well as I can recollect, not having referred to notes, were these: that there were some Orangemen that were liberated at the Armagh assizes; they were committed to gaol by Mr. Hancock, a magistrate of the county, residing at Lurgan. Upon their being liberated, there was as I understand, an enormous concourse of the Orange population in the county to cheer them and congratulate them on their liberation, and to escort them to their homes, which were near Lurgan. Shortly after this, there was a meeting of a number assembled in the town of Tandragee, and at the top of the hill (that town is on a steep hill) they erected a thing with a pole and a cross beam to it, something like a gallows, and tar barrels were got, and they dressed up a figure, which was stated to be an effigy of Mr. Hancock, the magistrate, who had incurred their displeasure from proceeding, under the Procession Act, to commit the Orangemen who had marched in the procession contrary to law. This figure or effigy had a rope tied round its neck, and was hoisted up on this pole or gallows, the tar barrels were then set fire to, and this effigy was consumed by the fire lighted under it, with the shoutings and hurraings of the people assembled about it. It was also stated in the report made to Government that Dean Carter, the magistrate, was standing with those parties so surrounding the effigy; and upon some affidavits, I think, that were handed to the Lord Chancellor Plunkett from some people in the town of Tandragee, of what had taken place, Lord Chancellor Plunkett sent these affidavits to Dean Carter, calling upon him for an explanation; the explanation not proving satisfactory to the Lord Chancellor, he superseded him in the commission of the peace; this was done without any communication with me. I was on my way to Ireland at the time. This was communicated to me when I got home.
  3318 When did this happen
?—The 24th of July 1833.
  3319 Has Mr. Carter been since restored to the commission of the peace for the county of Armagh
  3320 Not even by the Tory Government
?—No, unless it has been done without my knowledge; Dean Carter then made some representation through me, which I felt it my duty to lay before the Government, and upon which an investigation was ordered, at which I presided, assisted by the then Solicitor-General Crampton.
  3321. That investigation took place at Tandragee on the 17th of October 1833
?—Yes, I believe that was the time.

Observations on gout and rheumatism pp 448-50 (Charles Wilson, 1823)
Copy of a Letter from the very Rev Thomas Carter, Dean of Tuam.
         Bath, Feb. 26, 1818.
   Every sufferer from the gout must read your work with peculiar interest and gratification. I feel encouraged by your openness to communication, to detail my case, and to guide, by your prudent caution, my wishes in the use of the Tincture. In 1800, I left this country to reside in Ireland. From 1812 to 1817, in the spring and autumn, I was subjected to faintings, preceded for some days by an interruption of digestion, flying pains in the right and left great toe, a fulness of the stomach, which seemed to affect the actions of the heart. Æther and tincture of rhubarb were had recourse to, and generally soon relieved me, but left a feeling of debility. In May, 1817, the pains in my great toes returned with more violence, and early in June fixed all their force on the inside of my left foot, in a line with the ancle, attended with a sensation of throbbing, intermittent heats, gnawing pains and eructations, and an attack in the stomach, succeeded by a clammy perspiration The foot swelled, was red, and for some weeks the pain continued, and was succeeded by an itching, while the skin of the foot peeled off, and took with it two troublesome corns.
  During the paroxysm, my medical attendant directed an extraordinary use of flannel on the affected limb, heavy bed cloths, a heated room, and a plentiful use of ardent spirits and madeira. All these, I am now satisfied, were protractors of the paroxysm.
  Finding my strength not returning, and evident signs of a disordered stomach, I deemed it prudent to take other advice, and arrived in London in November. A course of laxative medicine was directed to restore the fæces to a healthy character, to cleanse a furred and dry tongue, and remove the high colour, pink sediment, and an occasional rotten-egg appearance of the urine. These points being nearly effected, I was directed to try the Bath waters; but, from an evident disagreement, after three days’ use, I gave them up, and applied again for advice. Again I am put under a laxative course, and the fæces are progressively assuming a healthy appearance. Every day a return of the pains takes place, either in the right or left great toe, and prickings down the right thigh, with an occasional fulness in the region of the stomach. My appetite is generally very good; my diet is confined to plain roast and boiled meat, potatoes, bread pudding, and a little weak brandy and water, drank half an hour after dinner. My own feelings indicate a want of more active medicine to produce the effects of your Tincture; how far my opinion may be right, your experienced judgment must direct.
  My abstemious mode of life, aided by the laxative medicines, I think have warded off another paroxysm, or rather kept it vibrating in my habit. The happy relief which your Tincture has already afforded to many severely afflicted, and a desire to participate must be my apology for trespassing on your patience by so long a detail from a perfect stranger.
      I am, Sir,
        Your faithful and obedient servant,
          THOMAS CARTER.
  P.S. The “operative effects
of the Tincture gave more successful relief in the fatal and malignant Typhus fever which for several months prevailed in Ireland, than any other mode of treatment.

Thomas lived at the Glebe House, in Drumnaleg Townland, near Tandragee, Armagh, which was "finely situated on a bold eminence, and commands a delightful prospect" set in 20 acres of thriving plantation. Thomas also owned "about half the townland", leasing it to tenants.

A Government report on Townlands in 1830 contains this on Drumnaleg Townland, describing the extensive property holdings of Thomas Carter:
Druminaleg, pronounced Drumenalig (stresses) from Drumnaleg "ridge of the great stone". It is bounded on the south by Tullymacann and Mullaghglass, west by Lisnakee and Mullintur, north by Derrycan and east by Lisbane. Churchland, possessed by the resident incumbent Dean Carter, rector of the parish. He owns about half the townland in his own hands, in which is the Glebe House and about 20 acres of thriving plantation, and the remainder is let to tenants at will from 25s to 27s 6d. Occupations chiefly farming. It contains (blank) acres and a school. 1 mile distant from Tanderagee (market).

General Directory of Newry, Armagh pp 95-97 (Thomas Bradshaw, 1820)
TANDRAGEE, a market town in the county of Armagh, is situated eleven miles north of Newry, nine west from Armagh, seven and a half south-west from Lurgan, four south from Portadown, and about twenty-four south-west from Belfast.—It consists principally of one long and wide street, upon the south-eastern side of a hill, with a spacious market-place near the upper end. It is very beautifully situated, in a fine, populous and improved country—sheltered from the prevailing winds by fine trees, and almost surrounded by the picturesque and highly ornamented demense of Miss Sparrow, and that of the Rev. Dean Carter. On the top of the hill, there is a long and very handsome public walk, overshadowed by a row of the finest lime-trees in the kingdom. There is a very handsome church, surrounded by trees, finely situated on high ground, which deserves to be visited by travellers.
It was built within these few years, on the site of an old church, which had become ruinous and too small for the congregation. The funds appropriated for its erection, having been unequal to its completion, it has very lately been finished at the sole expense of Miss Sparrow, the munificent proprietor of the town and large adjoining estate. It is a Gothic building, of great simplicity and elegance, with a high tower and pinnacles, which forms a beautiful object to the surrounding country. The interior is fitted up with singular taste; and on the whole, it is one of the handsomest and most convenient parish churches in the kingdom. In the centre of the town, there is also a neat and convenient Methodist chapel.
   The mansion house, usually called the castle, is situate close to the town and church, upon the top of a steep bank, which commands a beautiful view of the romantic and finely wooded demesne. It was built some time ago, on the site of an old castle, formerly the residence of the chief of the sept of the O'Hanlons, and afterwards of the St. Johns, to the ancestor of whom, Lord Grandison, lord-deputy of Ireland, it was granted by Queen Elizabeth, and has, with the estates, descended to the present proprietor, Miss Sparrow—the only remaining representative of that ancient and illustrious family.—The river Cusier passes near the lower end of the town. It is a fine stream, and runs through beautiful wooded banks, from the Fews mountains, where it rises, until it falls into the river Bann, near Portadown; giving motion to a great number of mills and bleach works, and sending off, near the town, the principal supply to the Newry canal.
  There has been, in addition to the fine ancient woods near the town, a very great number of new plantations made, which already are making a beautiful appearance. Miss Sparrow has lately built a very handsome school-house, for the eduction of thirty boys and thirty girls, to be supported entirely at her own expense—This building forms a fine object from many points of view. Near the town stands the glebe-house, at present occupied by the Rev. Thomas Carter, Dean of Tuam, and rector of the parish. It is finely situated on a bold eminence, and commands a delightful prospect. The country around Tandragee has been long celebrated for the manufacture of the best description of middle-priced yard wide linens in the kingdom, which are sold in the market, to a very large amount, every Wednesday. The market is one of the largest in the county, and the weekly sales fall very little short of
£7,000. The principal articles of trade are linens, yarn, butter, flax, flour and all sorts of provisions, with some cattle and pigs, and, in the season, a very great quantity of pork, which is mostly bought up for the Belfast and Newry markets.
   Spacious as the street and market place is, it is thronged every Wednesday with such busy crowds as are astonishing to strangers; and the dealers frequenting it, are particularly commendable for their correctness and punctuality. There are four fairs in the year—on the 5th day of July and 5th of November, and on the first Wednesday in February and May, at which great number of horses and black cattle, &c. are disposed of. The Newry navigation passes within a mile of the town, and affords an easy conveyance, for weighty goods to and from Newry, and the country around Lough Neagh.
   The post arrives daily at half-past eight o'clock in the morning, and is despatched at five in the afternoon.
   The population of Tandragee amounts to about 1,200, of whom about two-thirds are Protestants. The town contains a great number of well-supplied shops, and has been, for some years, increasing in business and respectability. The flax which is sold in this market, nearly to the amount of 2000 stones weekly, is reckoned the best in Ireland.

Death: 19 August 1849, at Kingstown, county Dublin, Ireland, of cholera
The Gentleman's Magazine November 1849 p548
Aug. 19. At Kingstown, near Dublin, (where he had been staying for the benefit of his health,) having nearly attained his hundredth year, the Very Rev. Thomas Carter, D.D. Dean of Tuam, and Rector of Tanderagee and Ballymore, co. Armagh.

Burial: St Patrick's church, Tandragee, Ballymore, county Armagh, Ireland


Wilhelmina Frederica (Carter) Carpendale

Birth: 1798/9

Father: Thomas Carter

Mother: Ann (Collison) Carter

Married: Maxwell Carpendale on 29 May 1824, in Ireland

Children: Death: 10 January 1876, in Drogheda, County Louth, Ireland.

Notes: Wilhelmina Frederica  was the goddaughter of the William Frederick, Duke of Gloucester (for whom she was named). A family note from James Savage claims further that she "was playmate with Queen Victoria" , which I suppose is feasible to some extent - William Frederick's father was brother to the King, and his wife was an aunt, reputed to be favourite, of Victoria.


William Frederick Carter

Birth: 1806/7

Father: Thomas Carter

Mother: Ann (Collison) Carter

Education: Christ's College, Cambridge, where William was admitted on 5 April 1826. He graduated B.A. in 1830 and M.A. in 1833.
Alumni Cantabrigiensis p529 (John Venn)
CARTER, WILLIAM FREDERICK. Adm. pens. at CHRIST'S, Apr. 5, 1826. S. of Thomas, Dean of Tuam. Matric. Michs. 1826; B.A. 1830; M.A. 1833. Lived at Arno's Vale, Co. Down. Died s.p. Mar. 1848, aged 41. [Thomas Carter, D.D., Dean of Tuam, died Aug. 19, 1849, aged almost a hundred. (G. Mag., 1849, II. 548; Peile, II. 422.)

Married: Catherine Elizabeth Tipping

Catherine was born in 1805/6, the only daughter of Francis Tipping, of Bellurgan Park, county Louth, and Christina Forde. After William's death, Catherine married Edward Curteis, the second son of Edward Curteis, of Glenburn, county Antrim, on 14 November 1850, at Rosstrevor. They were married by the Rev. Frederick Cashel, the husband of William's sister, Sophia. Catherine died in 1867, in Kilkeel district, county Down, aged 61.
The Coleraine Chronicle 23 November 1850
14th Nov at Rostrevor by the Rev. Frederick Cashel, Edward Curteis, 2nd son of the late Edward Curteis, Glenburn, county Antrim to Catherine Elizabeth, widow of William Frederick Carter, Arno's Vale, county Down and only daughter of the late Francis Tipping, Bellurgan Park, county Louth.

Notes: William's godfather was William Frederick, the Duke of Gloucester (for whom he was named).

Death: 5 March 1848, at Arno's Vale, Rosstrevor, county Down, Ireland, aged 41

1846: Arno's Vale, Rosstrevor, county Down (Slater's Directory 1846)
1848: Arno's Vale, Rosstrevor, county Down (Will Calendar (1869) at National Archives of Ireland)

Return to Chris Gosnell's Home Page
Return to Chris Gosnell's Genealogy Page

If you have any comments, additions or modifications to the information on this page, please feel free to email me.
Created and maintained by: